It’s time for another recipe from my ‘Whats in Season in June’ series, this time I have chosen Aubergine (or Eggplant depending on where your from). In my ‘Whats in Season’ post I said that I really don’t like Aubergine, however I decided to make something for my husband as a treat for working hard in our garden, so I made him Aubergine Pizzas.
They were so simple and my husband loved them, he whipped them straight out the oven when the timer went off and started to demolish them before I even managed to take a picture of them fresh from the oven, so I apologies if you were hoping to see a picture of them freshly baked. I had to quickly snatch some away so you could see what they looked like cooked.
I made some Bulgar wheat to eat as an accompaniment.
- 1 Aubergine, Sliced
- 150g of Cheese
- 300g Mince
- 1/2 Onion
- 4 Small Tomatoes
- 400g Can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp of italian seasoning
- 1 tsp of Paprika
- Handful of fresh parsley
1. Cut your Aubergine in to 1/2 inch thick circles, put the Aubergine pieces on a double layer of paper towels and sprinkle both sides generously with salt. Let the Aubergine sit for 30mins. This helps to draw out extra moisture.
2.Pre-heat the oven to 190c. While the Aubergine sits make the sauce.
3. Fry the onion in a little butter or oil until soft, then add the fresh tomatoes. I like to add fresh tomatoes to the sauce as it adds a more natural fresh taste. Once the onions and the tomatoes are cooked down add the mince and fry until it’s cooked.
4.When your mince is cooked sprinkle over the Italian seasoning and paprika and stir, when this is mixed in add the chopped tomatoes and stir. If you want more flavour add 50ml of beef stock. Cook this until the mixture thickens, it should take approx; 20-30mins depending on if you added stock or not.
5. When the mixture has thickened a little add the fresh parsley. Like the fresh tomatoes this brings the dish alive and gives it a lovely fresh natural taste.
6.Just before the mixture has fully thickened, prepare your Aubergine by brushing some oil on top and sprinkle some extra Italian seasoning on the Aubergine. When the mixture has thickened, put some on top of each piece of Aubergine and top with cheese.
7. Place the Aubergine in the oven and cook for 20-25mins.
You can make this vegetarian friendly by missing out the mince and replace the stock with vegetable stock.