I love crackers, they are the perfect snack covered with cheese, pickle anything you like really. However when it comes to making biscuits and crackers I am not the best, therefore I decided to challenge myself despite the impending fear that this would be my first public failure on my blog. These cream crackers were so easy and I didn’t need to worry as they turned out better than expected (however with my track record with biscuits and crackers the standard wasn’t very high to beat anyway). You can have a look at the pictures and decide for yourself if you think they look yummy.
MAKES: Approx 24.
- 125g Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 15g Unsalted butter, cool but not hard
- 1 tsp Seas Salt Flakes
- 1 tsp of Cumin seeds or 2 tsp of sesame seeds
- 4 tbsps of double or single cream
- 3-4 tbsps of room temperature water
1. Sift the flour and sugar in to a mixing bowl. Cut the butter in to small pieces, add to the bowl and use the breadcrumb method by rubbing the mixture between your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine crumbs (hence the name Breadcrumb Method). Stir in the seeds (whichever you decide to use) and salt.
2. Add the cream and 3 tbsps of water to start of with. Using a round bladed knife mix everything together, adding more water a little bit at a time until the dough becomes soft but not sticky.
3. Lightly dust your worktop with some flour and knead the dough for 5 seconds to make it a little bit smooth. Put the dough back in the bowl and cover with cling film. Leave it to rest for 30 mins at room temperature.
4. Near the end of the relaxing time, heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Lightly dust the worktop and rolling pin with flour, then roll out the dough to make a very thin sheet. Trim the sides to make each side straight and then prick the dough all over with a fork. Using a knife or a pizza cutter to cut the dough in to squares and then place on a baking tray(s).
5. Place the tray(s) in the heated oven and bake for 15-17mins until the crackers are a light golden colour, don’t worry if they shrink a little. To ensure an even bake rotate the baking tray(s) halfway through the baking time.
6. Remove from the oven and leave to firm up on the tray(s) for a few minutes, then transfer the crackers to a wire rack and leave to cool. Store in the airtight container and eat within 5 days.
Source: The Great British Bake Off Everyday.